Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia?

Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #966

• Zakiyyah
  • Fresh Boarder
As salamu alaikum,

First, alhamdulillah I came across this forum as it looks very welcoming and full of useful information. I have many questions so insha Allah I'll probably will be posting a lot.

My husband and I have a small online business here in the US and would like to insha Allah move with our kids to Malaysia and continue running this business from there. We are totally confused about what visa would apply to us. Any help would be greatly appreciated; we have never attempted to move overseas before and need some direction about what steps to take. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #967

• Asim
Zakiyah, salaams, hope the move works out well.

Here's the visas you could get...
i) Malaysia My 2nd Home. You basically give a deposit of around US$40k (depending on a few factors) and you can stay in Malaysia with your family for 10 years. You can't get a job but you can run a business.
ii) You set up a company for around US$600 and apply for a work permit for that company. You'll need a separate office to do this. The the rest of the family can get dependent passes. They will check that the company is genuine. You then need to renew the visa every 2 years. Note you'll need to pay yourself a salary and will thus need to pay tax on that.
iii) You could enrol your kids into a school and get a visa so that you can look after them. Not sure what it's called, but I know of some people that have done this.

There is also a talent pass which lasts 10 years for people with exceptional CV's but I think you can only this if you've been working here with a pay of over RM12k, I think, for several months.

I hope this helps...

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #968

• Asim
I should add that if you go with option (ii) you need to put up some paid up capital to apply for a work permit. It might be around US$120k. But one can just put in that money and take it straight out. In fact it's possible to even not have the US$120k at all, but it does become a bit more difficult.

One more thing, if your company is tech you might be able to benefit from becoming an MSC status company which makes getting employment visas very easy. But getting MSC is not easy.

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #969

• Zakiyyah
  • Fresh Boarder
As salamu alaikum,
Thanks for the helpful information! Looks like option #2 may apply to us, so long as we aren't expected to have 120k! Insha Allah we will look into it. Also, my husband has found another visa option, I think it's called Labuan Business visa, or something like that. It sounds like the simplest way to get a visa. Know anyone who has applied for this?

Thanks again!

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #970

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Walaykum assalaam Zakiyyah

Unfortunately Labuan have changed the rules for work permits recently and there are now requirements attached to getting a Labuan work permit similar to the Malaysian requirements (eg, minimum salary of RM 10,000 and paid up share capital of RM 250,000).

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #971

• muslima
  • Fresh Boarder
Salaam sis Zakiyyah,

what route did you take in the end? from what I know you need a malaysian partner to open a business and it's not that easy (idea has to be original). inshallah Allah makes it easy for you.

i'm struggling to find a way to stay here myself. currently im studying at a malaysian institute.

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #972

• Zakiyyah
  • Fresh Boarder
Wa alaikum Salam Sister,
We haven't decided anything yet. You can say we are still in our research phase. We would like to move sometime in 2017 insha Allah so we are trying to quickly gather as much info as possible. My husband and I plan to run our company as an off-shore company in Malaysia. So for us everything would be the same, except our physical location. Our customers would still be in America. But we would like to be able to hire local Malaysians for short term projects. Not sure if we would legally be able to though. Since we have a ton of questions insha Allah our next stop is the Malaysian embassy to get facts and guidance about how we can possibly move insha Allah. We're expecting the process to be time consuming but hoping it's not too complicated . If it's Allah's decree, He will show us the way or somewhere better.

Re: Anyone moved their business from US to Malaysia? 1 year, 1 month ago #973

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Muslima, you don't need a Malaysian partner for most businesses, only for certain specific industries.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds

Latest Forum Posts

in Suggestion Box by Gera, 22-12-17 14:52
in Schools by Nour, 30-11-17 07:09
in Schools by Rey, 24-11-17 02:20
in Accommodation by Isabelle, 20-09-17 04:48
in Accommodation by Kate Hepburn, 19-09-17 14:06