Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Getting a car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting a car

Getting a car 9 years ago #39

• Asim
One of the major drawbacks in living in Malaysia is that a decent set of wheels will cost you an arm and a leg because if very high taxes.

The best way to avoid paying tax is by getting a Proton or a Perodua. I believe you don\'t pay any tax at all on either makes.

But protons are generally rubbish cars - they are unreliable, poorly built, drive badly, etc... They really are rubbish cars.

Perodua, on the other hand make some fairly decent cars. Their small Myvi was has been awarded 76% by the UK\'s What Car? (www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/FEAT...DER/OTHER/34294.html), which is probably the highest rating achieved by any Malaysian car ever. In my view it\'s the only decent Malaysian car out there. My wife has one, and every single person that I know that has bought one loves it. And I quite like driving it too.

The next way to minimise your tax bill is by getting a locally produced car. Like a Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, BMW 3 or 5 series, C or E class Mercedes. The cars that are made in Malaysia are not as solid as the ones built in either Germany or Japan but they\'re not that bad either.

Finally, you can get an imported car and pay huge amounts in tax.

One thing to note is that cars depreciate very slowly in Malaysia. I bought my Honda Civic for RM118k 3 years ago. Today, in part because of the economic slowdown, I can get a very decent RM80k for it. Also, if you do buy 2nd hand it\'s difficult to get a well looked after car - when I was looking a few years ago not one car I looked at had a full service history. And you get cheaper finance when you buy a new car. I have never bought a new car in the UK but since I\'ve been in Malaysia I have never considered buying anything but a new car here.

There is one way where you can bring in an imported car with the tax - Malaysia My Second Home. Under the program you can bring in one car. You have to put down a deposit, but you can borrow secured on that deposit.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by Asim. Reason: To put in the correct information regarding the Myvi\'s What Car? rating

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #50

• Salman Rahman
Totally agree with you on all issues!

Getting a car here is murder compared to the UK. However, nearly all financing is interest laiden-except if you take out a \"sharia-compliant\" car loan otherwise you have to be prepared to spend 15-20K GBP for a decent set of wheels!

What\'s the best-reasonably priced seven seater? Are the Naza cars any good?

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #52

• Asim
Salaams Salman

I\'ve been thinking of getting a 7 seater, and have done some research. I have decided that while I\'d feel great the times the 6th and 7th seats were being used, it would probably happen 5 times a year and I didn\'t want to drive a clumsy car for 360 days a year just for those 5 days!

Anyway, perhaps you might need the 7 seats. Cheapest will be the new Proton 7 seater. It\'s a Proton, so you know my view. Similary priced will be a Perodua 7 seater which will be released later this year. Around RM60k or so. It might be pretty good, but I doubt it\'ll be the safest car out there. But if your budget is tight, this might be the one.

Toyota have an Avanza for about RM85k. It looks terrible. I know MPV\'s are not supposed to look like Porsches, but when they look this bad, then it\'s difficult to seriously consider it.

Nissan have a Grand Livina for about RM85k too and that seems really good value to me.

If you have more money they you can either buy the Toyota Wish (a new model is coming out soon which looks good) for about RM160k or Honda Stream. Both look good. Toyota\'s quality control is better than Honda\'s, and these MPV\'s are built in Japan, so it could be worth considering a 2nd hand one for around RM100k. Mazda also have one - I think it\'s the Mazda 5. Looks pretty good.

There is one car that is amazing value, in my view. It\'s a Hyundai Starex. I\'ve been inside one. It\'s RM140k, leather seats, feels good, just came here to Malaysia, and it has 4 rows of seats! It\'s a 12 seater with 3 seats in each row including the front!!! It has a rear camera for when parking, and it\'s got to be pretty safe. It\'s got a DVD player for passengers. The reason it\'s so cheap is because, for some reason, the importer doesn\'t have to pay much tax - tax seems to be around RM20k. On other cars like the Wish or Stream it\'s probably closer to RM50k or so. To see how much tax you\'re paying just see how much it costs to buy the car in Langkawi, and the difference to the KL price is tax. The more tax you are paying the less car you are getting for your buck.

There might be a few I\'ve missed but most other 7 seater options cost over RM150k. Eg new BMW x5 comes with a 7 seater option (Merc ML has no 7 seater option), Volvo XC90 (new model coming soon), Toyota have very high end 7 seater which is a rip-off - the Alphard, there is a Mercedes R class (actually a 6 seater), Toyota Landcruiser.

Just one thing Salman, if you do buy new, always try to buy a car that has recently been launched (not just facelifted). A lot of people buy new cars which were released 3 or 4 years ago. That is the best way to waste money - when you come to sell in 3 years time it will be an old model and you won\'t get much. If you buy a newly released shape you can sell in 4 years time and still get a very good price. Depreciation is the biggest cost of motoring, not petrol or insurance.

Asim

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #53

• Salman Rahman
Salaam Asim

Thanks for the detailed advice. I too think the Hyundai Starex is a lot of car for the money-it seems by far the best deal around!

If I had a family of 10, I think I would be compelled to go for it but a smaller and cheaper MPV is more practical and realistic.

The dilemma is that any nice car costs a lot and you feel like getting a model that will not depreciate too much! That\'s why Japanese seems the most sensible option but whether new or second hand you\'ll have to cough up a sizeable chunk!

I think for a used car, the Nissan Grand Lavina is a nice car and I am inclined towards a Toyota Innova as well!

wasalaam

Salman

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #58

• Asim
I suggest that you have a few more kids. That way the Starex will be perfect for you.

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #65

• Asim
One more solution. The new Toyota Rush. It\'s like the Avanza but looks much better and seems to look a bit safer too. Cheapest model comes in at 88,888.00. Just saw one parked outside my office this afternoon.

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #66

• Salman Rahman
Salaam Asim

Yes, a couple of friends at work have bought a Toyota Rush and its a very nicely put together MPV-very compact,worth considering!

wasalaam

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #67

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
What about the Grandis? Is that any good? I quite like the look of it.

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 11 months ago #72

• Asim
Grandis, Wish, Mazda 5 and Stream are all pretty much the same as far as I know. They all look pretty good and cost pretty much the same.

But the new Wish, when it comes out, would be the safest choice - easier to get parts, lots of Toyota service centres and you get Toyota reliability.

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 10 months ago #86

• Asim
I think the new Perodua 7 seater will be worth getting if you have a family. It\'s essentially a Toyota Passo Sette.
paultan.org/archives/2008/12/26/toyota-p...er-mpv-full-details/

Should be around RM65k-RM70k. I think we might upgrade our Myvi to this as the 7 seater will be bigger and hopefully safer.

Also, here is an interesting link - it gives the best selling cars...
www.motortrader.com.my/NUS/articles/article_1990/page_m.asp

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 7 months ago #93

• Asim
May be worth considering the attached if you\'re buying a car.
jdpower_ssi_2009.jpg

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 7 months ago #110

I imported my sports car from South Africa with No hassle on the MM2H programme.I bought another car at BMW through their own finance company which is Shariah Compliant, and that procedure took me just 3 days and the car was delivered,so i do not think it is as hard as what people say.
Mohammed Zaheer Patel
Sierra Universal Sdn BHD (DIRECTOR)
+60-16-4107860

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 6 months ago #136

• Asim
Mohammed, salaams.

Did you buy the BMW in Malaysia, tax free under MM2H?

I noticed that BMW and Mercedes are ripping Malaysians off BIG time.

A BMW 5 series (525i), tax free under MM2H, works out to be RM280k. That\'s the tax free price. In the UK, which itself is about literally 60% more expensive than the US, that car would cost around GBP35k = RM203k. That\'s after UK VAT, so before VAT it would be RM173k.

So a car in rip off Britain that costs RM175k before tax costs RM280k in Malaysia. The very same car probably costs around RM100k in the US.

Daylight robbery.

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 6 months ago #139

Salaams Asim
I didn\'t buy the car under MM2H, as i already imported my sports car here tax free from South Africa.
I bought my BMW through BMW finance.
s
I do not agree that the car price in Malaysia are a rip-off.
I see your point in thinking so,but this is Asia, and it happens in Singapore,Indonesia,Hong Kong etc...

If you want to buy a luxury vehicle not made by Proton or Perodua(the local manufacturers), then you have to pay the taxes (250-300%).
Whilst it seems expensive, you must understand that when you decide to sell the car, you get the market price including the import tax in your sale, so you are not losing.
You may be paying a higher retail price and higher premium though than the UK.What you pay extra for a car here than in UK, you save on the gasoline price quite a bit.

Also, in South Africa we pay about 20% interest for cars,so on a BMW X3 which costs ZAR 550000,you pay ZAR 9200 p/m.
Here i pay 1.8% interest on a MYR330k(ZAR726k X3 paying a total of R8800 p/m over 7 years.

Whether you want to buy a Toyota,BMW,Audi,Mercedes,Nissan or Honda your taxes will be heavy.If you want to buy a Proton Wira or Waja, or a Perodua Kembara or Myvi, then maybe that is the way to go.
As much as parts are easy to get for these cars the life span is not great.The service is terrible, and they make long journeys uncomfortable.
Just my advice for you.

Take Care
Wassalaam
Mohammed Patel
Mohammed Zaheer Patel
Sierra Universal Sdn BHD (DIRECTOR)
+60-16-4107860

Re:Getting a car 8 years, 3 months ago #152

• Asim
In Malaysia cars are rip-off. The reason you get more when you sell is because it\'s so expensive when you buy.

Anyway I ended up buying a Hyundai Sante Fe. Absolutely brilliant car. Highly recommended. RM165k new, although I got mine with 4k on the clock for RM131k.

7 seater, very comfortable, safe, fuel efficient, etc...

And here is the best part... you don\'t pay much tax on this car despite it being imported. Something to do with some agreement that Malaysia made with Korea (I have been unreliably informed). It costs pretty much the same in the UK as it does in Malaysia.

Re:Getting a car 7 years, 11 months ago #192

• Asim
Car of the moment is the new Hyundai Sonata. Released in about a month and selling for between RM120k and RM160k. Better and cheaper than an Accord or Camry.
  • Page:
Moderators: Asim
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds

Latest Forum Posts

in Schools by Nour, 30-11-17 07:09
in Schools by Rey, 24-11-17 02:20
in Accommodation by Isabelle, 20-09-17 04:48
in Accommodation by Kate Hepburn, 19-09-17 14:06
in Accommodation by Isabelle, 19-09-17 06:56