Crime, Safety, & Stability...Need info
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crime, Safety, & Stability...Need info

Crime, Safety, & Stability...Need info 1 year ago #979

• Zakiyyah
  • Fresh Boarder
As salam alaikum,

Quite by accident recently, I came across several negative news stories and documentaries on the the topic of rising crime in Malaysia. The crimes were quite horrific for a Muslim country, including gang violence, baby trafficking, shootings, and wide spread corruption, and terrorist infiltration. Now, I'm not naive and I had heard before that Malaysia is not as safe as other muslims countries, particularly the Gulf countries, but I found it a bit shocking that crime seemed so widespread. Coming from the US, which has an outrageous number of violent crimes every day of the week (currently one of the most violent countries on the planet) a crucial criteria for us relocating was that it had to be an overall a safe country.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and I know that the media can be heavy-handed on these type topics, so I'm asking those of you who are living here to tell me your honest opinion on the safety situation in Malaysia. Is crime high even in Muslim majority areas? Can families safely go out at night? Can we pretty much expect to be robbed or assaulted if we go out of gated/guarded community (I would hate to have no choice but to live in such a community out of fear for our safety)? Is corruption so bad that the government seems unstable (talks of revolution or overthrowing the government). Perhaps some this sounds outlandish but trust me when I say the documentaries I viewed (all of which were filmed within the last 3 years or so) made things sound that bad. Any insight into what it's really like would be highly appreciated. Insha Allah several people can answer so I can get some personal accounts.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Crime, Safety, & Stability...Need info 1 year ago #980

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Walaykum assalaam Zakiyyah

As you say when you are looking at a situation from the outside and things get magnified by the media, they often look much worse than they are. Do I feel unsafe in Malaysia? In a nutshell no, but I'll try to answer all your concerns below:

- From what I can see the homicide rate in Malaysia is half that of the US. There have been a handful of shootings reported this year but they look like isolated/targeted incidents. If safety is your prime concern then the Gulf may be a better place to settle but I don't think this is that much of an issue here. Of course anything can happen (here as anywhere) and I take basic precautions as I would in Europe as well, but I've been going out day and night, with others or alone, to most areas in and around KL and I've never felt unsafe. I wouldn't walk in some deserted area at night but I wouldn't do that anywhere.

- Petty crime like snatch theft is what you are most likely to encounter here. It's happened to me a couple of times and young mothers are a good target as they are easily distracted by kids. I've had a bag stolen from my stroller when I turned my back for a minute at the supermarket. I've had to learn to keep a better eye on my belongings but it's not the type of crime that would make me feel unsafe.

- The reason for gated/guarded condos or housing communities is due to break-ins being quite common if you live in an area of houses which are not gated. I actually feel safer in my home now than I did in Europe because break-ins often happen there too but here in KL I live in a condo with good security.

- Corruption is bad, particularly at the political level and in the police force, but it's nothing new. There have been some peaceful rallies in the last few years asking for cleaner elections and to protest the latest corruption scandals, but no, no revolution on the cards right now!

Re: Crime, Safety, & Stability...Need info 1 year ago #981

• Zakiyyah
  • Fresh Boarder
As salam alaikum Sis. Isabelle,

Thank you for your insight! I suppose there is always going to be compromises no matter where you live, and what works for one family may not work for another. It all depends on which issues concern you the most and what you are willing to accept or overlook. There still seems to be many positive aspects to living in Malaysia so as always we will have to see which direction Allah guides us towards.

Re: Crime, Safety, & Stability...Need info 1 year ago #982

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
You're welcome, and if I can add there are some ways in which I feel much safer, or rather more relaxed, walking around in KL because here there is very little of the aggressive, swearing or drunken behaviour that is seen regularly walking around London for example.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds

Latest Forum Posts

in Suggestion Box by Gera, 22-12-17 14:52
in Schools by Nour, 30-11-17 07:09
in Schools by Rey, 24-11-17 02:20
in Accommodation by Isabelle, 20-09-17 04:48
in Accommodation by Kate Hepburn, 19-09-17 14:06